Dnata, the ground handling arm of Dubai’s Emirates Group, has signed a joint venture agreement with China West Airport Group (CWAG) to provide airport ground handling services in Xi’an Xianyang International Airport(XXIA).
The agreement was signed in Singapore last month between Gary Chapman, president of Dnata & Associated Companies and He Xikui, president of CWAG. The joint venture company will also be allowed to participate in operations at ten other smaller airports managed by CWAG.
Under the joint venture agreement, Dnata will hold a 45 percent stake in Xi’an Dnata Aviation Services Company Limited, with the remaining 55 percent owned by CWAG. The joint venture has a 15- year tenure providing airport ground handling services at XXIA.
Chapman said: “The collaboration between Dnata and CWAG will strengthen the existing handling operations with the expectation of business growth and operational synergies. Both parties aim to bring their collective capabilities to deliver high quality and efficient ground handling operations at Xi’an Xianyang International Airport. Dnata believes that this strategic partnership will be able to help Xi’an Xianyang International Airport realise its potential of becoming one of the leading aviation hubs in China, and we look forward to working closely with our partners in CWAG.”
CWAG president He said: “As one of the regional airport hubs in China, the popularity of Xi’an with its rich historical and cultural heritage makes Xi’an an important tourist destination in addition to also being a Hi-Tech Industrial Development Zone in China. Aircraft and passenger movements at Xi’an airport is expected to grow by over 12 to 15 percent in the coming years from 117,000 fl ights and 10.9 million passengers respectively.”
The collaboration between Dnata and China West Airport Group is of great importance to both parties in promoting the active development of airport ground handling and related industries in Western China. With the signing of the joint venture agreement, Dnata is poised to make a signifi cant contribution to Xi’an Xianyang International Airport to enhance its service standards and the corporate image as a regional hub in western China.